I get emails every so often with people asking me about ‘off the beatin’ path’ types of things to do in Barcelona. I thought it would be a help to put it in a blog with some links.
Favorite Restaurant – Caravelle in the neighborhood El Raval. My friends Zim and Poppy own it. They are a read couple from OZ/UK respectively and they have the best food. The Moraccan eggs are mind blowing and I had the best burger I’ve ever had in my life there. And I’ve had 1000s of burgers.
Best tapas = el Atril in Plaça de Sant Cugat in El Borne. We lived about 5 min walk from this spot and ate there every time we had guests in town…and a lot even when we didn’t have guests in town. The owner, an Aussie named Brendon, also owned a wine shop across the street and would let us buy a bottle from there and open it at his restaurant.
The whole area of El Borne was our spot. It’s a beautiful neighborhood with lots of great food and spots to hang out.
The Parc Ciutadella is a cool place to stroll around. The fountain in the park is beautiful.
- Walk through the Borne and get pizza at Pizza del Borne or tapas at El Atril.
- If you are in the Borne in the morning check out Hoffman Pastry schools shop on Carrer dels Flassaders…amazing stuff. They have a cinnamon roll/croissant that is mind blowing.
- Hike up to the cross at Parc Guell and see the whole city
- Walk along the beach in Barceloneta (the best bakery in BCN is in that little neighborhood. It’s called Forn Baluard…traditional pastries and bread.)
- Visit Sagrada Familia…if you go to BCN and miss this, then you will be sorry.
- Walk up Passieg de Gracia (from Plaza Catalunya) to the Gracia neighborhood and enjoy a more local scene.
Barcelona is a beautiful place…writing out this list makes me want to go back and visit so badly! I would offer a word of warning: watch your purses and wallets! Don’t let your time in this lovely city be tarnished by getting your stuff stolen!